Friday, October 7, 2011

JP
I have a broad idea of what I would like to do -something like a range of tutorials from giving basic information regarding wheelchair seating to a troubleshooting/Q&A 'space' where novices can be guided and advised by more experienced therapists and/or wheelchair suppliers. Of course I will not endeavour to do the whole range - just the introduction tut (about something like taking the correct measurements).
Seating has become an important issue and  specialized field - is only covered briefly in the undergraduate years. I know that this is a need, especially for newly graduated therapists working in rural communities in their community year. 
What do you guys think? Any ideas?
Alma

2 comments:

  1. Dear activelearningOT, this is fascinating to discover something about another discipline - thank you for sharing. You mention a lot of categories that you might focus on in your training/ teaching:
    a. Tutorials
    b. Basic information
    c. Q&A functionality
    d. Expert opinions/ facilitation
    e. Seating as a focus point
    f. Possible rural students

    We do not know much more about the students you had in mind. Perhaps you could tell a little more about them (their needs, skills and evaluation and feedback)as part of the analize phase of ADDIE.

    Best of luck!
    PS: Anybody else with idea or feedback?
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this will be a valuable tool for learning as there is definitely a need for it. And not only among novices, but also those qualified OTs in remote places who are not able to attend regular courses on seating (and who may not have dealt with this subject in a lot of detail during their undergraduate years).

    I came across an interesting article (Li-Tsang & Weiss, 2003) that may be of some help or could give some ideas on the design - although it handles with a different subject. Good luck.

    Reference:

    Li-Tsang, C., Weiss, P. 2003. Evaluation of a web-based rheumatology course for students in rehabilitation sciences. Work, 20(1), 13-18.

    ReplyDelete